While there are ten different Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans to choose from, over 50% of seniors choose Plan F. Plan F has benefits that are not included in other plans.
What is a Medicare Supplement plan?
Medicare Supplement plans are sometimes called “Medigap” – because they help to fill the gaps that Original Medicare leaves you to pay. Medigap plans are designed and regulated by the government – but sold by private companies. There are 10 types of Medicare Supplement plans, each with their own letter.
Every plan with the same letter must have the exact same benefits – no more, no less. The only difference between different Medicare Supplement Plan Fs is the price. Plan F is the most generous Medicare Supplement plan type.
As amazing as Original Medicare is, it still makes you pay deductibles and co-insurance. When you get seriously sick or injured, your share of Medicare payments can be enough to threaten your savings. Medicare Supplement is a time-tested addition to Original Medicare (Part A & Part B) coverage.
What Does Plan F Include?
- Plan F provides the most comprehensive coverage of any Medigap plan.
- Once Medicare pays its share, Plan F covers the rest of your costs in full.
- With Plan F, you won’t have to pay any medical costs apart from your premiums.
- Even your deductible is wiped away by Plan F.
- Plan F is guaranteed renewable once you join. If you join when you first get Medicare, Plan F is guaranteed enrollment too.
- With Plan F, your total out-of-pocket cost for hospitals and doctors who participate in Medicare should be $0.
Plan F Core Benefits
- No Medicare Part B Copayment + Coinsurance: Medigap plans handle your copayment for an unlimited amount of Medicare-covered outpatient care.
Without Medicare Supplement, you’d owe 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount for most Part B services. This benefit alone could save you tens of thousands of dollars in any single year.
- No Medicare Part A Coinsurance and Hospital Costs
- FREE Medicare Part B Preventive Care
- No Part A Hospice Care Copayment or Coinsurance
- FREE 3 Pints of Blood Per Year
Additional Plan F Benefits
- No Part B Excess Charges: Some doctors who participate in Medicare charge 15 percent more than the Medicare-approved rate. Get outta here! You want this Plan F benefit to see the widest possible range of doctors under Medicare.
- No $1,340 Part A Deductible: Part A has a hospital deductible each time you’re admitted – so Plan F pays it for you each time you visit the hospital.
- No $183 Part B Deductible: Don’t be ridiculous. You’ll always want this benefit, even if it only saves you $183.
- No Skilled Nursing Facility Coinsurance: Skilled nursing facilities provide intensive rehabilitation after a serious medical condition. Totally covered under Plan F, this can make all the difference for you to enjoy a full recovery.
- No Foreign Travel Emergencies: Medicare only works in America and its territories, including Puerto Rico and Guam. But Plan F pays 80% of your emergency medical costs if you need to go to the hospital in other countries, minus a small deductible. This benefit gives you easy access to emergency care all over the world.
- When will you want this Plan F benefit?
- If you occasionally travel to other countries.
- If you don’t want the hassle of separate health insurance while traveling.