Medicare and Cataract Surgery

Paying for Cataract Surgery with Medicare and Medigap

Medicare and Cataracts

Usually, Medicare does not cover any kind of vision health in regards to corrective lenses, contacts, or visits to the optometrist. There is an exception however when it comes to people in need of cataract surgery.

Cataracts are spots of cloudiness or blurred vision found on the outer part of the eye.

These spots inhibit the proper amount of light from reaching the retina causing one to see blurred, distorted, and/or discolored image. Cataracts are of particular interest to Medicare beneficiaries and Medigap insurance policy holders because one of the main risk factors for this condition is being 65 or older. Other risks include diabetes, glaucoma, and prolonged exposure to UV sun rays.

The amount Medicare will pay for removal of cataracts depends on how much of the expense falls under the “Medicare approved” amount. Typically you will pay 80% of the bill for Cataract surgery. The remaining 20% is left up to the beneficiary unless they have a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan, which will pick up that last 20%.

Recently, there have been many developments in intraocular lenses or IOLs. These lenses are used to correct vision and inserted during surgery. Medicare will only cover a very basic IOL, so to select a more modern version, you must pay the difference between the basic and upgraded versions.

To get more information about Medicare Supplement Insurance planstalk to one of our Medigap plan representatives today or use our instant quote below.

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans Quote

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *