Medigap Coverage

National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month

Medigap Coverage for Preventive Screenings

March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. During this month we remind ourselves of the risks and steps taken to prevent the disease. Fortunately, screenings for Colorectal Cancer or Colon Cancer do fall under Medicare and Medigap coverage.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), If people “50 years old or older were screened regularly, as many as 60% of deaths from this cancer could be avoided.” Colon cancer is cancer of the colon or rectum and the risks for the disease increase with age. In fact, 90% of cases of this disease occur in people aged 50 or older (CDC Website). As we previously stated, different screenings recommend for colon cancer are part of Medicare’s Preventive Services.

Screenings that are part of your Medicare and Medigap coverage include:

  • Fecal Occult Blood Test– Annually
  • Flexible Sigmoidoscopy: Once every two years-for high risk patients; 120 months for general cases.
  • Screening Colonoscopy: Annually for high risk patients; 120 months for general cases.
  • Barium Enema: Your doctor can decide to use this test instead of a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. This test is covered every 24 months if you are at high risk for colorectal cancer and every 48 months if you aren’t at high risk.

Medicare Part B will pay 80% of the Medicare-approved amount incurred with these tests and you Medigap coverage should include the remaining 20% depending on your Medigap Insurance Plan.

To get more information about Medicare Supplement Insurance planstalk to one of our Medigap plan representatives today or use our instant quote below.

Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans Quote

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By completing the simple formula below you agree that you are a human being and not a robot. Thanks! *